How to Make Natural Toilet Bomb Cleaners
Let’s be honest here for a second, no one likes to clean their toilet, but everyone loves a sparkling clean toilet bowl! Well, we’ve got a solution: Use a toilet bomb cleaner to quickly and effectively clean your toilet bowl - and keep it clean! Yes, you read that right! Made with all-natural non-toxic ingredients, these DIY toilet bombs are the new, easier way to clean the dreaded toilet bowl. Just drop the toilet bomb into the toilet, watch it fizz and let it work its magic, no scrubbing needed on your part!
Made with natural cleaning agents, these toilet bombs can remove stains, disinfect, and deodorize your toilet bowl in just 5 minutes! The best part is that it’s easy to make a whole batch and store away for future use at any time. So you can drop one into your toilet bowl whenever your toilet is needing a little love! And with plant-derived essential oils, these toilet bombs are an all-natural way to keep your toilet bowl looking clean and your bathroom smelling fresh at all times. Which means, you can spend less time scrubbing your toilet.
Making these natural, chemical-free toilet bomb cleaners is super easy - and fun! Most of the items for these toilet bombs you should have in your home already.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your toilet bomb cleaners:
Baking Soda - Also, known by its chemical name Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda is actually salt, as the name indicates. Known for its natural cleaning capabilities, baking soda is slightly abrasive making it a powerful stain remover. It also absorbs and neutralizes unfriendly odors and is an effective sanitizer as well. Baking soda dissolves in water and is safe to go down the drain. It is a natural cleaning agent that is also found in many non-toxic, eco home cleaners too.
Citric Acid - Found naturally occurring in fruits, especially lemons and limes, Citric Acid is a safe and effective all-natural cleaning agent that is able to kill bacteria and remove hard water stains, rust, lime and calcium deposit.
Castile Soap - Castile Soap is a plant-based, vegetable-oil based soap that is made without any synthetic ingredients or animal products. It is a chemical-free soap made with natural ingredients. We love Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap in Citrus Pure, as it is naturally scented with lemon, lime and orange essential oils. This will add some extra fragrance to your toilet bombs!
Essential Oils - Powerful, plant-derived oils that contain antibacterial and antiviral cleaning properties, that are safe and non-toxic to use for cleaning your home. They also provide a natural fragrance, making them a great addition to your toilet bomb cleaners! Learn more about essential oils and other ways that you can use them here! For your toilet bomb cleaners, lemon, orange and lavender essential oil smells the best. You can also play around with scent combinations as well, try Orange Lavender for a citrusy-sweet scent!
White Vinegar - With its high acidic levels, white vinegar is a natural, but potent cleaner and disinfectant that is safe to use as a cleaner for a variety of surfaces in your home and bathroom, including your toilet bowl.
You will also need:
- A large mixing bowl and a wooden mixing spoon
- A silicone mold tray (Make sure that the width of each mold is at least 2 inches)
- A reusable misting spray bottle
- A large airtight jar or container
How to Make Toilet Bomb Cleaners
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of baking soda and ¼ a cup of citric acid.
- Add 25-40 drops of essential oils depending on your fragrance potency preference.
- Add 2 tablespoons of castile soap.
- Using a sturdy mixing spoon, stir the mixture making sure to mix well. It may fizz slightly, that is normal. In the beginning it may also be a little hard to mix and may clump together, break up the clumps. The mixture is meant to stay dry, however you can slightly dampen. In a misting spray bottle fill 1/4 of the bottle with a mixture of water and white vinegar.
- Mist the mixture once, then try to stir again. The texture should feel like slightly damp, not wet. Do not overspray the mixture or it will become too wet and could activate the ingredients and cause a chemical reaction (which you don't want to happen until it is dropped into the toilet bowl!)
- Once the mixture is thoroughly mixed, scoop out some of the mix and form it into one of the molds on the tray. Repeat until you run out of mixture.
- Leave the mixture to dry in the molding tray for a few days. Do not remove from the tray until the mixture is fully hardened.
- Once dry and hardened, carefully pop the toilet bomb cleaners out of the molding tray. You can store the toilet bombs in an airtight jar, so you have a toilet cleaner ready for when you need it. It is important to keep the jar away from an area where it could be exposed to moisture, this will ensure it does not chemically react and fizz up in the jar.
How to Use a Toilet Bomb Cleaner
- Depending on the size of your toilet bomb cleaners, drop 1 to 2 into your toilet bowl. They will begin to fizz and foam up, much like a bath bomb does in your tub.
- If they fizz, this means that the ingredients are having a chemical reaction. This is crucial as it assures you that the toilet bomb is effectively cleaning your toilet bowl.
- Leave the toilet bomb cleaners in your toilet bowl for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then swish your toilet bowl brush around your toilet bowl, and flush.
- And there you have it, simple and easy, your toilet bowl should be sparkling clean thanks to these natural DIY toilet bowl cleaners!
These DIY toilet bomb cleaners are an easy, effective and mostly importantly, natural way to clean your toilet bowl and leave it sparkling clean! They are also effective to use in between your major bathroom cleans or as a pre-treatment for stains, if you still wish to use a natural toilet bowl cleaning solution as well. These toilet bombs will leave your bathroom smelling fresh - and take the scrubbing work out of toilet cleaning! Sounds like the kind of DIY dreams are made of.